Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Mckay's Birth Story

 After 9 long months (or 272 long days) of anxiously waiting..our son FINALLY arrived! Meet McKay Randall Rhoten! Born December 6th, 2012 at 2:20 am. We couldn't be happier to have him in our arms and welcome him into our little family! He is perfect in every way!

McKay came into this world in a very fast...but not so furious way. His estimated "due date" was Nov. 30th, so I guess it wasn't that much of a wait but it sure felt like it! But we felt it was important to let him come into the world on his own time and in a natural way. Here is our birth story (and I love it!)

So McKay's due date came..and went. I was feeling great with consistent and very mild pre-labor contractions for the past month or so of pregnancy. Before realizing what they were, I remember telling Lance I still had abs! (Then at my 36 week appointment I had one while getting measured and my midwife told me that I was having contractions and it made a lot more sense :) I had also been dilated to a three for about a month and had been 70% effaced. 

Anyways, on December 5th I went to class, went on a walk, and we even went to a show that night just doing business as usual. Lance and I went to bed around midnight and about thirty minutes later I woke up with a sharp surge (contraction). I went to the bathroom and my water broke on the about convenient! I wanted to labor at home as long as possible and so I decided to take a bath to try to relax and pass the time. The contractions were getting more intense. It felt SO good to be in the warm water during the contractions. I wanted to "get ready" to go to the hospital so I would get out of the tub but then jump right back in because it was the only thing that felt good during the contractions. (Lance still thinks its funny I was worried about my hair and make up during labor) 

This went on until about 1:15 am-so about forty-five minutes. I could hardly stand during contractions now and decided it was time to go to the hospital. I woke up Lance and he had to help me get dressed. I was disappointed that I was going to the hospital so soon into labor but I just felt like things were going fast. In-between contractions on the drive to the hospital I called our midwife and the hospital, but during contractions I just kept my eyes closed and was deeply focused. To be honest I was doing a lot of praying! The contractions were getting very intense and I remember thinking that I couldn't do this for a few more hours. 

When we arrived at 1:45 am to the hospital I walked in and told the attendant I was in labor and she said to follow her. I walked a few steps but then told her I needed to be wheeled over. Again, I just kept my eyes closed and mind focused as they were talking to Lance and I. They kept mentioning that this was my first birth. They casually rolled me over and were not taking me very seriously. When I got to the room I told them I had to go to the bathroom so they left me and I had an undeniable urge to push. I checked and sure enough I felt his head! I told Lance and he didn't know what to do. (Poor guy) So I told him to get a nurse and she ran over and checked me on the toilet and started to panic as she said I was dilated to a 9 and 1/2. She had to keep her hand in-between my legs to "catch" him  in case he came out while I was walking to the bed. I was seated upright (which I loved) because I wanted to deliver in a sitting position.  I figured why not let gravity work with you.. It just didn't make sense to me to be laying down. 

Lance says this is where I became really "out of it". I said no thank you to an IV and was really impressed that my nurses were so supportive. I was so thankful for the skills I had learned during Hypnobirthing because this is where I really just "tuned into my body" and tuned everything else out. I was half asleep and singing in my head and really just excited to finally be getting closer to having my baby in my arms. My midwife arrived at the hospital about 15 minutes before McKay was born. I pushed during three contractions and he was out! He had the cord wrapped twice around his head but he was screaming and was perfectly healthy! 

As you can see I didn't have time to change so I am wearing Lance's shirt

They immediately placed McKay on my chest and I was in love!! Lance cut the umbilical cord and I did skin to skin and nursed McKay for the first time. It was a very special and sacred hour for our little family. 

He then was measured and had his first bath while I got cleaned up. He had good color and no sign of jaundice. When they were washing him he started to cry but as soon as he heard lance talk to him he stopped and looked for dad. It was precious.  

 I felt SOO amazing after birth! I honestly was on a pure adrenalin high! (I'm not sure I have come down yet!)  I didn't sleep for the next 2 days because I was just so excited. A few hours after birth I tuned to Lance and said that I think I could do that again :) SO that is McKay's natural birth story.
We left the hospital the next day with our bundle of joy!!


  1. I'm sure women everywhere envy your quick labor. That is amazing it was only about 2.5 hours. Isn't that what it is for women who are delivering their 5th child? That is awesome you did it naturally. I aspire to be like you. Congratulations - you are a beautiful family!

  2. Congratulations!! We did hypnobirthing too- its so great! And your story is just, sigh, lovely! He's adorable! Welcome to mommyhood ;)